Monday, March 2, 2009

“The Righteous”


Part 1

Please, I ask that no images or text or any part of this post or posts to follow on “The Righteous” can be taken without written permission from me. This applies to this blog and my other blog Red Velvet.

Should you wish to link to this or any of the posts associated with “The Righteous”, I ask that you inform me and I will link your blog on the side of this blog as I have done in the past.

Thanks for your understanding.



As previously stated, I started gathering for this piece well over a year ago.
Needing to feel the time was right and having the time to complete this piece, I started with this antique Victorian Bible.





Covered in paint on both sides and accumulated dirt over such a long period of time, it was in terrible need of repair.

It took me about a week to clean it up





And discover the treasures hidden beneath the massive layers of grunge



I felt as though I was on an archaeological dig sometimes, here’s why


Working under a magnifying glass the entire time I thought the dark tones were leather






As I took my very sharp scalpel to the leather I gently scraped and scraped



All of a sudden a tiny fleck of gold leaf appeared


Excitedly I continued to discover that what I thought was leather was accumulated, hard as a rock, dirt.


See where the scalpel is here (below) – only brown






See now See where the scalpel is here – some gold




Before



After





Now just that minute piece which is hardly visible to the naked eye took an hour or more.


Imagine this then – and this was unbelievable compared to how it first looked – barely visible





But after much time and a lot of patience – my beautiful angel appeared and now restored almost to her former glory




Whilst I love the aged appearance of things, as you know, I decided to clean up the brass – OMG – my arms were so sore after doing all four magnificent corners and the other brass elements.






I felt the need to clean it up again so the true magnificence of the piece and it was critical to the telling of the true story that will be revealed to you soon enough.





You will need to be patient with me for…






In order to fully understand this, one of my most recent Visual Anthologies™,
“The Righteous”, I feel it is imperative to explain a few things.





Please Please Please

You really need to read all of this to understand where I will be heading.



Anti Semitism became the official policy of Germany when Hitler and his Nazi party’s rose to power in Germany in 1933.



The Nazi regime carried out the largest systematic genocide, of a people, the Jews, ever known in the history of man.



6 million Jews, including 1.5 million children, were murdered in those countries occupied by Nazi Germany. Under Nazi rule, most non-Jews did not do much to assist the Jews in their plight.



However, there were some people who risked their lives, their freedom and position to help Jews during the Holocaust and indeed, some of them were murdered as a result o that assistance.



Those rescuers are known as The Righteous Among the Nations.



By 1 January 2008 Yad Vashem, The Holocaust Martyrs' and Heroes' Remembrance Authority located in Jerusalem, recognized 22,211 Righteous Among the Nations from 44 countries.
To be Continued...

26 comments:

Sharon said...

...............you left me hanging. It is beautiful beautiful. Can't wait for the rest of the story.

Lumilyon said...

Such an important subject. Can't wait to see how this beautiful piece develops x

Tamikko said...

Ok, you had me at 'gold' and the story is even more interesting. Like most people I know the horror stories and the realities but not all the particular's. Can't wait to learn more. Thank you for sharing your visual finds from Australia, with us all

A bird in the hand said...

Judy, I was so very moved by this post. My mother's sister, the French aunt (of Armenian descent whose father survived the Armenian Genocide) whom I wrote about in my article for Somerset Memories, was a Righteous One. She was a student in Brussels during the war. I'd like to share her story with you one day.

xxoo
Colette

Lynn said...

Judy, your zeal and hard work bring tears to my eyes...as once again you uncover a treasure from history...so amazing. I do wait patiently but with excitement at what more there is to this story of your find.
I have the good fortune to be good friends with a Dutch woman whose parents hid Jews in their home during the war. All lived through this ordeal. My friend, who I met when we were young women in Israel together, now talks publically to groups around the US about her family's experience. She is one of the righteous! Her family has been formally honored for their bravery and GOOD DEED in being instrumental in saving these lives.

Jen Crossley said...

How your work has moved me,not only the story but your amazing attention to detail.That cover and the work you put into it to uncover a true treasure in it self.I dont know whether poeple know how much thought and work goes into every piece you do.Your an amazing artist and story teller and friend
Jen

Izabella~ said...

words fail me~

will be waiting anxiously~

xo

Mixed Media Martyr said...

Wow! What a story and what a project! Can't wait to see what you do with this project!!!

Megan Warren said...

Your projects leave me in awe - you are one very talented and unique lady. I can't wait to read more about this project.

Marie said...

Judy, I've been following your blog for a while and am constantly amazed at the treasures you find. I love how you meticulously clean things, and work with them. I am in awe of your artwork and particularly love reading the stories behind each piece. I look forward to reading more of this new treasure.

Robin said...

Yes. The time is right for this story, for this art. It's needed in the wake of so much wrong that has been done in the name of politics in the last few years... here... in the US.

What a brilliant birthing--and what a wondrous midwife you are.

Sam Marshall said...

What an amazing post. It's so interesting to see you uncovering the treasures to see what lies beneath.

Kim said...

What a magnificent book and a great find Judy. It looks beautiful and I can't wait to see where this project is going. As always wonderful food for the soul.

azirca said...

My goodness...all of that scraping, no wonder your arms were sore! What an amazingly beautiful book, it's so intricate.

Ro Bruhn said...

I thought it would look good, but never this good, it's amazing Judy. Don't let anyone call you impatient, the patience and skill you must have to have achieved that transformation is incredible.

Elizabeth said...

What an incredible gift you are giving to so many, known and unknown!! I first started following yor work with the article about the box by the side of the Road with all of the Holocaust and Jewish heritage memorablilia in it. It was in CPS, I think. What wonderful respect you give to all of your finds and the stories that you tell!!
youare a wonder!
Elizabeth

Deryn Mentock said...

Sheesh! Did you find it buried in the ground?? It's absolutely gorgeous and I can't wait to see what you do with it.

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

You have the heart of a lioness and I am breathlessly awaiting the next explosive discovery. I went to your homeland back in 1993 and it changed my life's journey. Imagine and live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

TheEccentricLady said...

I just found your site and am SO glad I did! I can not wait to hear the rest of the story and see what you do with this beautiful book. What a blessing to read the other peoples stories also.

Judi said...

As always, you leave me breathless. And, I did actually gasp out loud when you first revealed the glowing beneath the dirt. What a discovery of excavation and how appropriate that you found it.
Also, glad to see you've started "watermarking" your photos; good for you!

The Junkin' Yaya said...

Girlfriend....there are just no words to describe the gift that you have been given to bring back the honor of those that have come before us! I can't wait to see you....

Call ya soon...xo...deb

Leslie said...

You've done an amazing job with that bible. It's really breathtaking!

xo

J ..de Santa Fe said...

Judy - add me to your long list of those who are following this unfoldment .. incredible treasures at so many levels!
Judith

Seth said...

The theme of this post seems to be going below the surface...to a deeper level. Your work on the book is as magical and beautiful as the story you are telling is tragic and important.

Kim Logan said...

This is a beautiful story Judy, and all the better for you taking the time to immerse yourself in it. Looking forward to the next part.
Kim
x

angi eharis said...

DITTO to all the above comments, mahalo for sharing your journey and especially for paying homage to these poor people, i am a 30 year hospice/homecare RN and have spent many hours with various WWll sufferers, there are no words and most people today have not an inkling of what horrible things took place 70 yrs ago simply for what god you prayed to or the slanted eyes you were born with. thanks for knowing and honoring and not forgetting, angi in hana